Porsche Discovers 1898 P1 in Warehouse

By Jeremy Del Nero on 27 January 2014
  • Share
Bildschirmfoto 2014-01-27 um 13.08

Egger-Lohner C.2 electric vehicle

Porsche uncovered an Egger-Lohner C.2 Phaeton electric vehicle, known as the P1, at a warehouse at an undisclosed location.  The 1898 vehicle was the first car designed by Ferdinand Porsche, who was 22 years old at the time.

Porsche engraved the vehicle and its components with “P1,” which stood for Porsche, number one.  The P1 remained untouched for over a century, since 1902.

The car weighs 2,977 pounds (1,350 kilograms) and was first driven in Austria on June 26, 1898.  Its 287-pound (130-kilogram) electric motor produces three horsepower, or up to five in overdrive mode where the vehicle can reach 21 mph (33.8 km/h).  The battery, which weighs 1,103 pounds (500 kilograms), can power the vehicle for three to five hours, with up to a 49 mile (79 kilometer) range.

The P1 will be added as an introductory piece in the entrance area of the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany, which recently celebrated its fifth birthday.